First, I cut a potato in half, and then I drilled a hole in each half using a 5/16″ drill bit (but I don’t think the size matters, as long as your cutting can fit in it).
Then I cut two 8″ stems (at ~45* angles) from my rose bush, and cut the dead rose buds off of them. After I took the cuttings, I stuck them directly in the potato holes.
Last, I buried the potatoes in the ground, and watered generously. We’ll see if it works!
UPDATE 6.23.2013: Sadly, all I got were potatoes with this experiment. :( However, I did have two hard freezes after I attempted to propagate these roses, and I didn’t use any rooting hormone. I’m curious to try it again with rooting hormone and non-freezing weather. I did get potatoes though! :)