Crock Pot Mexican Chicken


Shredded Mexican or Tex-Mex Chicken is so easy to cook in a crock-pot (slow cooker) or pressure cooker. It’s a great basic recipe to have on hand in your freezer for use in burrito, Quesadillas, Soft Tacos, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Tortilla Soup, or Chimichangas. Really, you can put this chicken in anything you want to give a Mexican or Tex-Mex flair to.


I much prefer cooking this type of chicken in the crock-pot than the oven because I don’t have to coordinate my schedule with the oven’s time-line. I usually get it started early in the day so it’s ready before I actually need it. That way there’s no last minute anything. Another great thing about slow cookers or pressure cookers is that the chicken becomes so tender it practically shreds itself.

Recipes like this really save the day when I’m feeling like I need an extra 8 hours in my day to get everything done. It just takes a little organization up front to get things cooking in time. This recipe is easily doubled, or even tripled if you have a larger crock pot. The chicken can be frozen in portions for later use (stored frozen for up to 2 months).
On days that are a little busier, I will make Mexican Shredded Chicken in the pressure cooker instead of the crock pot. Add all the ingredients just as described, I’ve even added frozen chicken when I don’t have time to thaw it, and bring it to a boil.
After the mixture comes to a boil, put the lid on and cook at high pressure for about 30 minutes, more along the lines of 45 if the chicken is frozen. After the cooking time is up, turn the heat off and let sit until the pressure has released before opening the cooker.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, chopped
2 limes
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil