Frozen Cherry Mojitos

The weather is finally getting warmer, so I thought I’d kick off the heat streak with a delicious, slushy, rum infused adult beverage. These Frozen Cherry Mojitos are the perfect way to kick back and enjoy the weather while beating the heat!

Over the weekend I picked up a huge bag of Bing cherries from the market. Although they weren’t exactly cheap, I am a sucker for fresh cherries and decided to fork over the extra cash. Throughout the day, I ate cherry after cherry after cherry. Although I adore their flavor, I think my love affair with this fruit also has to do with the pit. I’m going to be honest, I kinda sorta like spitting them out while in the privacy of my own home.


After I recovered from a slight self-induced cherry coma, I decided that I wanted to use the rest of them in recipe, so I turned to the MBA Facebook page and sought some advice from my wonderful readers. After browsing the many responses I decided on Frozen Cherry Mojitos, recommended by Susan. Cherries + Lime + Mint + Rum? I was sold.

It’s like it was meant to be. We just so happened to have rum and fresh mint, so I took that as a sign. After about ten minutes, I was left with a pile of pitted cherries, a cherry juice flecked tee shirt and pink fingers. I tossed the cherries into the freezer and prepared a lime simple syrup.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound bag frozen pitted cherries
3 cups crushed ice, plus extra to serve if desired
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1 cup white rum
Lime Simple Syrup, recipe follows
Lime wedges and fresh cherries, for garnish

LIME SIMPLE SYRUP
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 limes, juiced and zested

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the frozen cherries, ice, mint, rum, and lime simple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into chilled glasses and top with crushed ice. Garnish with lime wedges and cherries.