Bruschetta with basil pesto

When I need a quick lunch, I find myself coming back to Bruschetta time and time again. There’s something about the charred, garlicky bread that just works so incredibly well with almost any topping you choose to use. I’ve made it with everything from simple sliced tomatoes to more extravagant parma ham and melon.

This way of doing it showcases the wonderful Mediterranean Delicacies Basil Pesto to it’s full potential by pairing it with creamy and delicious Fior Di Latte (a cow’s milk mozzarella) and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. It is the absolute best thing to serve as a quick summer lunch or as a snack with drinks (you could make mini-versions for a cocktail party).

I suggest you try to find Fior Di Latte which is now available in Woolworths, as it  is very mild but creamier (in my opinion) than buffalo mozzarella. It’s also much cheaper than Buffalo Mozzarella. I also suggest you leave it at room temperature for 20 minutes before slicing as the flavour mellows out and it becomes (if possible) even creamier. Just delicious. I would also suggest you thin out the MD Basil Pesto with olive oil before liberally spreading it over the toasted bruschetta. For me, bruschetta is best made with Sourdough, but feel free to use any, good quality, crusty bread for this.

4 slices sourdough bread, drizzled with olive oil, grilled and then rubbed with half a garlic clove
3 tbsp MD Basil Pesto (thinned out with 2-4tbsp olive oil)
150g Fior Di Latte/Mozzarella
juice of 1 lemon
olive oil for drizzling
salt & pepper to taste
fresh basil leaves, to serve

Top the sourdough bruschetta with a generous amount of basil pesto.
Top with thinly sliced Fior Di Latte.
Drizzle over lemon juice, olive oil and season to taste.
Serve immediately.