Caprese Chicken


I am in major big time whoa love with this dish. A few weeks ago Jorge and I happened to find ourselves in one of those chain Italian restaurants like Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. I honestly can’t remember which, but I do know I ordered something called Bruschetta Chicken. It was good, but could use some improvements.

For starters, I wanted to make it with cherry tomatoes and add some fresh buffalo mozzarella. Then to finish it off, drizzle on a little bit of my favorite balsamic vinegar. Obviously it would no longer be a Bruschetta Chicken anymore, with the additions it would now have to be called a Caprese Chicken. Either way, who doesn’t love more cheese and balsamic vinegar??

I kept thinking about this recipe idea…but then I used the cherry tomatoes I bought for the crostini with whipped goat cheese. Despite having had this idea in the back of my head, it took me two months to actually make it. That was the dumbest move on my part, because Jorge and I really enjoyed this! Delicious healthy dinner in under 30 minutes? Count me in!

The recipe is easily divided and can be made just for two…and as long as you watch your cheese and olive oil — it’s also ‘ass friendly‘. My favorite side dishes for this are some buttery noodles (with a squeeze of lemon) and possibly some garlic bread if we are feeling extra carby. Of course – the garlic bread makes it much less healthy…but who cares. It’s delicious.

ingredients:
4 skinless chicken breasts
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
10 large basil leaves, finely chopped
8 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices
balsamic vinegar, to taste

directions:
Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts and set aside.

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).

While chicken is cooking, in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and continue sautéing until tomatoes skin starts to soften/wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Set aside.

Once chicken has reached desired doneness, top the tops of each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella. Pour tomato mixture on top. Cover pan with lid once more and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes.

Lastly, drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.