Chocolate Coconut Scones

Hi there! This is Emily from Jelly Toast here to share with you some incredibly addictive Chocolate Coconut Scones. These scones are packed with sweet coconut and dark chocolate then topped with a coconut glaze and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.

Besides being mouthwateringly good, these fit perfectly into my goals for the New Year. After years of cold cereal, I am attempting to kick my breakfasts up a notch in flavor, but also eat a bit more mindfully than I did over the holidays.


Cliché, I know, but it’s true. I need to be better because frankly, I don’t want to have to go buy all new jeans in a month. Luckily, these decadent coconut scones have only 3 Tablespoons of butter in them, and are made with white whole wheat flour. So, while this is not a recipe for a salad, you can feel a little less guilty about eating something that tastes like a Mounds candy bar for breakfast.

I was inspired to make this chocolate and coconut studded breakfast treat by one of my all-time favorite desserts: chocolate dipped coconut macaroons. When I was little, my dad would frequently commute up to Ann Arbor and at the end of the day would return home bearing a giant white bakery box full of baseball sized coconut macaroons dipped in deep, dark chocolate. They were my absolute favorite and now I can never see or eat a coconut macaroon without thinking about the ones that my dad brought home.

I wanted these scones to be very reminiscent of those childhood macaroons, so I started with my favorite light chocolate chip scone recipe and packed it full of coconut goodness: Coconut milk, sweet coconut, a coconut glaze and toasted coconut. The results were incredible and my family inhaled every single one. I am just glad that I bought two cans of coconut milk, so I will be making these again very soon. My breakfast has never tasted so sweet.

For the Scones
3/4 cup light coconut milk
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold and cut into small pieces
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup of sweetened flake coconut
2 Tablespoon light coconut milk (for brushing on top before baking)
For the Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 (plus a few drops more if needed) tablespoons light coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut, toasted
2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips (optional)